Burcum is a specialized intellectual property lawyer, who represents local and international clients in anti-counterfeiting matters as well as complex trademark, copyright and design disputes. She is representing global leading companies in various sectors especially electronics, consumer care products, chemicals, entertainment, cosmetics, automotive, food & beverage and luxury goods.
Being the key contact for investigations, Burcum is handling anti-counterfeiting programs in both online and onsite including pursuing take down projects against counterfeiting on popular marketplaces and social media platforms as well as carrying out simultaneous raid operations. Her role includes conducting in-depth investigations, determining key spots for infringing goods and working closely with private investigation companies. She has a significant experience in customs measures including carrying out several trainings before the Turkish Customs regarding the protection of IP rights.
Burcum is a qualified litigator who handles multinational portfolios in core IP disputes and expertise in pursuing and enforcing preliminary injunction decisions. She is also active to carry out disputes before the Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP).
- Receiving a Rising Star Award from Managing IP 2022.
- Participating in Meet the Sponsor Day on 2021 AIPPI World Congress as a speaker on Anticounterfeiting in Turkey.
- Organizing policy dialogue as well as webinar on anti-counterfeiting in collaboration with INTA and Turkish Patent and Trademark Office.
- Attending first online customs training as well as physical customs trainings as a trainer.
- Handling large-scale raid operations which had reflected to the media.
Education / Languages:
- Marmara University, Faculty of Law, LL.B.
- Uskudar American Academy
- Turkish-English- French
Publications – Q&A:
- WTR-Anti-Counterfeiting Guide Turkey Chapter 2019-2020-2022
- New Chapter for IP in E-Commerce
- Article on Status of Rebranding and Remarking Goods Under the Intellectual Property Code
- Liability for Online Counterfeiting in Turkey
- AIPPI San Francisco Q283 – 2022 – “Protection of trade secrets during civil proceedings”.
- AIPPI Hangzhou Q278 – 2021- “Industrial Design and the Role of Prior Arts”.
- AIPPI Hangzhou Q273 -2020- “Trademarks descriptive use as a defense”.
- AIPPI Cancun Questionnaires 2018 - "Joint Liability for IP Infringement".
Admissions, Memberships and Ranking:
- MIP- IP STARS Rising Star 22’
- Istanbul Bar Association
- Member of the International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI)
- AIPPI Standing Committee, Piracy and Counterfeiting
• Handled anti-counterfeiting programs for industry leading luxury brands
• Provided several trainings for Custom Authorities regarding the protection of registered well known trademarks
• Handled due diligence projects related to intellectual property law
Marmara University, Faculty of Law
Admissions and Memberships:
Istanbul Bar Association since 2014
International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI)
Turkish National Group of AIPPI
Usküdar American Academy Alumni Association